Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Shiatsu Massage


After the party Friday night, I was super excited for my Shiatsu massage the next day! Earlier in the week, I twisted my shoulder while sleeping, and my neck and shoulders and back were really tense. So I looked online for a place to get a massage in Kyoto. Some of them seemed sketchy (like maybe not just massages? haha) and most had only Japanese websites. One that was reccomended on a forum was Asahido Massage Clinic in downtown Kyoto. They had a page in English with the basic info and a map, so I made an appointment (in Japanese like a bamf), copied down the info, and headed down there. I was running late though, because we went to school to try to turn in our Co-Op forms (that didn't happen though haha). Anyway, I sort of almost made it but the bus I got on didn't go all the way to where I needed to go, so I had to transfer to a subway but I got on the wrong subway... but eventually I made it to the right station downtown.

Then I had my little map copied from the website, but it wasn't very helpful because most of the streets weren't shown. I wandered a lot and asked around, but finally I found it on a quiet side street. It's in a nice Japanese style building remodeled from an inn. I was really worried about being late, but the owner didn't seem too busy and wasn't upset at all. We talked a little (in English!) and then I went in to the massage room. Unlike Western oil massages, it isn't done nude. I had little pajamas to change into and I didn't take them off. Which was good, because my massage therapist was male! That was a first haha. I was pretty surprised. And he was handsome! *doki doki* He was wearing a very doctor-ish uniform and he spoke a little English. He asked me to lie on my back right away and then he started.

At first it mostly felt like him pushing certain pressure points. He felt from my spine outwards with a little rubbing, then he would find the pressure point and start pushing on it. Some were a lot more tender than I expected, like around my hips. Sometimes he would push on one spot with a few fingers, and kind of hold his other hand on another part like a counter-pressure. I also changed positions and he stretched my arms or legs. And it wasn't just me using my whole body - he used his legs and feet to stretch me too. (I couldn't help thinking how well groomed they must be in this profession lol. He was super clean and didn't smell like anything at all).
This was me. Lol.
I turned on my sides and put one arm behind my back and he did more pressure-point massage from there. It all felt really good, except that my neck was so tense that it hurt to lay with my head on one side. But after the massage, I could turn my neck all the way without it hurting! I felt more energetic and way less tense in my back.

 They had a little tea room to relax in afterwards. You won't be as sore after a shiatsu massage as a regular massage, but you still need to drink a lot.
Cute little tea room
I thought the shiatsu massage was really interesting, because it involves very different techniques based on Chinese acupressure and there is more manipulation of the body. Overall, I thought it is a little more clinical than a spa massage and the massaging is not really rubbing but mostly pressure. But, it was totally more effective than a regular oil massage. I felt like my whole body was realigned and energized. I have a lot of respect for traditional Eastern medicine techniques. They have really been studied and used for a long time and they can be really effective. Sometimes it's good to try something different for your body. Anyway, I got a membership card so I will get a discount from now on. Yay! I tried to take some pictures of the inside as I was leaving, but the owner was doing deep formal bows so it was too awkward lol. I'll take pictures next time! I had a really good experience and I'll definitely try to go back.

1 comment:

  1. I want to try it too! My shoulders are a little tense..I think it's because of my bad sitting posture in the office. Send your good looking therapist over :D

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think of this entry!